Portrait of George Morewood (1720-1792) of Alfreton Park, Derbyshire
Artist: George Romney (1734-1802)
Information:The sitter was the second son of Rowland Morewood and his wife, Elizabeth,
daughter and heiress of James Wigley of Wirksworth. The family lived at Alfreton
Park in Derbyshire, which Anthony Morewood had bought from the Chaworth family in 1629, and
which was rebuilt for Rowland Morewood in 1728 by Francis Smith of Warwick. George
Morewood was High Sheriff for the County in 1762 and on the death of his brother John inherited the family estates, the possible occasion for this portrait. He married Helen, daughter of Francis Goodwin of Ashbourne, who died in 1824. On his death without issue, the estates passed to the family of his widow’s sister, Anne, who married Charles Palmer and whose son William changed his name to Palmer-Morewood. To be included in Alex Kidson’s forthcoming catalogue raisonne.
Price on request.